Saturday, July 26, 2008

Glove Bugs and Floaties

Well, yesterday was game day.

The anticipation surrounding these first real rounds of golf - with grown ups mind you, on a 'big kids' course was sooo much more rewarding than I ever imagined.
There is something to be said for lowering you expectation...once they are low enough, anything better is cause for much celebration.

Miss Polly offered to play a some practice holes with me a couple of days before our 'real' game.

I was so relieved!

What a way to break the ice, not to mention get an idea of just how bad the damage might be on game day.

Let me start by saying, I did no physical damage to Miss P, and minimal damage to the links.
I was ecstatic!

Our little practice outing yielded a wealth of experiences. We battled hazards of all kinds: water, sand and tree, with my biggest battle coming from memory or lack of it, I should say. It can get a bit challenging to the 'ol noggin trying to keep track of your score once it get into double digits.

Trust me on this girls, the trouble begins as soon as you run out of fingers, I mean you can't use your toes what with them being covered up with shoes and all, it get dicey...you get the picture.
Polly recommended I pick up a stroke counter.
"They just hook on your belt loop" How cool is that?
Sounded like a fine idea, so by the end of our practice rounds, I vowed to 'get me one a those'.

From P's description, I envisioned something like these 'little' gems.

Take note, the one on the right, the 'Glove Bug' is about the size of a nickle, and attaches inconspicuously to the top of your glove.

Both counters are so discreet, don't you think?
Unlike say...this?
I've deduced this is a multipurpose gadget. Not only can you tally up your strokes, you can use it as golf themed jewelry, say... a choker or belt ( depending on the size of your waist), and...that's not all, just like seat cushions on an airplane; In the event of a water emergency, use this beauty as a floatation device.

Did you note the bright color?
What better way to attract attention in the event of said water rescue or even getting lost in woods?

Unfortunately for me, I did not get over to The PGA Superstore before the 'Big Game', and the only counter available at the club house shop was that clip-on abacus number above.

Having no other option, as I forgot the necessary tools to execute Plan B.


Plan B you ask? Using of stick of chalk to tally strikes on my pant leg of course.


Instead, I was left with this.

Can you say Golf Tourist?

It is my contention that this thing is the fanny pack of the golf world.
Get spotted with this hanging from your waist and it's tantamount to wearing a neon sign that screams,
'I am a foreigner in your Land of Golf' 'Beware!! I have no clue what I am doing!'
An ingenious method to track neophytes, don't you think?

By 10:30 the four of us: my 2 faithful companions, Floatie and myself, made our way across hill, ditch, sand and water.














Along the way I learned some of the best methods to rescue your ball from same water, sand and ditch and trust me, there are many...but lest I digress even more, we'll save that for another day.

Amazingly, the abacus on my belt did not run short of beads, as I feared. Never making it to double digits once, I was elated at the end of play to have scored a 61, which included 1 bogey, and 4 double bogey's.

That's playing 9 holes ya'll.

See for yourself

My sweet loving spouse pointed out this score would be a nice round 122 were we playing a full 18 holes.

My response?
Ya baby!
I'll take a 122.

You see, two days earlier I scored 62 in six holes of play, (with par for these 6 being 25) averaging double digits at most holes (ergo the red alert that I might need a counting tool).


Using my honey's astute observations, should I triple these first score's, those 6 holes would net me a 'round' 186 after 18 holes.


Gotta put things into perspective folks!

As I confessed earlier, there was a certain amount of apprehension leading up to this date. The looped tape running in my head caused me to envision a long, gruesome game with my two partners trying to figure out how to break the news, that I should rethink this golf thing.

Which one will be Paula and which one will be Simon I pondered? Huh?

My concerns were unfounded.

What an encouraging group of friends! They both turned out to be Paula's.

Not only did they cheer, but by games end my golf buddies taught me so many other invaluable things, like...the finer moves of 'fist bumping', (my grown children will be so proud!)

Michelle Obama's got nutt'n on the FHG gals, let me tell ya!





Oh yes, and let's not forget the real purpose behind the super large fans that scattered among the greens







Why Glamour shots of course!














Okay, if you wear a floatation device a rope aaand bring a camera to golf ...you might be a redneck greenhorn.

Fine with me! Sign me up and call me silly, you got my number!

How grateful I am to have spent such a fabulous, fun filled day with these two amazing women, swinging, putt'n, and fist bump'n to beat the band.

I am reminded of Hebrews 10:24-25

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. "

The Message says it another way

"So let's do it—full of belief, confident that we're presentable inside and out. Let's keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let's see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching. "

The entire group of FHG Sisters, is nothing... if not full of belief, firmly gripped on God's promises, ever inventive, sharing love, helping out and full of much encouragement!

Our new study begins in a few short weeks, if you stop by, I'll be the one with the large stroke counter and infinitely bigger smile. Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tammy

That is so me with the counter, sometimes I don't have enough numbers on my counter.

I love it, I wish I could write the way you do.

Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, or should I say Anika,

Congratulations on a terrific beginning to your golf adventure. I've been playing a little golf this summer and would love to play with women instead of men. I've always played with Bob and whoever joins us on the course-always guys tho.
Someday I will join a women's golf league but I've had too much on my plate right now.



I have a self-imposed 10 stroke limit - if I don't get the ball in by 10 strokes, I pick it up! I haven't had to use my rule yet this year so that's an improvement!
We will probably be very compatable on the course and I'm sure we would have fun.