Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bee the Ball

One thing I have learned about this sport: Tension and golf do not a harmonious experience make.

Everything I have read and learned from Mr. Don and the ladies of FHG Bible study, tells me this is so. The best play comes when you relax.

Relaxing for me requires tossing out all the 'stuff' that usually jumps into this Mawmaw's head whenever I have a calm moment.

That said, if not prepared, I find some of the strangest thoughts enter my mind at the most inappropriate times…with my ADD tendency's, should this really come as a surprise? I think not.

Where was I?

Oh yes, tension and golf...

Last week, as a few gals were fine tuning their putting skills and I was seeking to gain some, I found myself thinking...

'Be the ball. Just be the ball'.

Where had I heard that before? It sounded fairly profound...like something a golfer might say to get in tune with their game. I didn't recall Don or any of the Warrior Chicks espousing this refrain. No, I had not read it in Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.

I was at a loss.

But hey, in addition to the ADD thing, I periodically suffer sever Mom-nesia, so the fact that I was experiencing this momentary loss of recollection was no surprise. Mom-nesia? The inability at any given time to recall everything from say...your child's name, where you left your car keys, or whether you've ever met a US president in your lifetime. The condition is linked to the abundant - at times useless and mind numbing information mothers collect in the course of child rearing.

Such as...the names of all the Sesame Street characters, and where they get their hair done, identifying animals and inanimate objects from slices of toast or pizza, the oh so endless hours of playing Go Fish with paint chips.

Yes, Mom-nesia has taken it's toll on many a fine woman. It's a wonder we can dress ourselves some mornings!

Anyway... 'Be the ball. Just be the ball'.

Truth be told, this mantra did not arrive completely out of the blue. It was prompted by the arrival of some tiny, winged, yellow jacketed golf enthusiast, commonly known as Bees.

Want to enjoy a nice relaxing bout of putting? Do not invite bees. Bees do not play the same way we do. They are very possessive and clingy as it were. They make the game all about them. This particular group decided they really wanted to ride the balls I was trying to putt, which meant I could not play without whoppin them upside their stinger, what with them, tryin to 'bee' the ball.

No amount of refocusing on my instructions from Mr. D or recalling the Annika tip I got the week before helped that day. Those bees were determined to be...on the balls.

Bee...be...be...as I stood there observing my new partners frantically clinging to each white globe my ADD dissolved and Mom-nesia took a hike, as the other 'Be's' flooded my mind and heart.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ." Ephesians 1:3

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:10

Imagine a huge smile (that would be me!) as I praised and thanked God right there on the Woodmont putting green. Once again He was speaking to me and showing me Himself in places and ways I never saw coming. Whoa! How glorious!

He is all about the details and the daily grind. Nothing is too big, small or innate for Him to just get all over with us!

Don't you just love Him?

No comments: